So the other day I came home late from playing bball. My hubby said he wanted to show me something he had recorded. So he started playing a recorded news clip. It was about Mormon missionaries that were fundraising for charities. It was a calendar of them in their clean white shirts, ties and name tags. THEN there were pictures of them shown shirtless, posing. Granted it wasn't women, so there's nothing 'dirty' about it I guess. As I'm watching this, I'm thinking, 'why in the heck did he record this for me?' The next thing I'm watching is the news anchor interviewing my old fellow employee. "OH MY GOSH," was all I could say. This is totally my friend James. Good guy, kinda weird as you can see. Heart is always in the right place, but sometimes I question his mind, lol. The calendar is meant to be non-sexual, but sex is what is selling the calendar, right?
Now it's my turn to man the front desk at the corn maze. Luckily, this is not a regular thing for me. It's the night of our Fall Festival, which was kind of a tank due to bad weather. It's pretty slow here, which is nice because it was such a bad day. Right now I'm hanging out with our new Marketing Coordinator (naked James's replacement). I just learned he was a contestant for Mr. USU.
After a day like today, I'm stressed, tired and just want to go home. Overall on most days I really like my job. I think I'm fairly good at it, my boss might disagree some days :). I am very upfront and honest with what I feel, which is always hard in a job. I hate stepping on people's toes and offending people, but I'm not one to sugar coat things. Most who know me know that. I like my job and am grateful for the opportunities I have to be better at it.






3 comments:
Oh wow!!
I'm glad someone finally addressed this in their blog! Yikes. Of course, those who had the privilege of working with James also got the chore of helping him decide on which pictures he should post on his myspace page. I guess we can see why now.
I have to say this really bothered me for some strange reason. I think by in large people do things with good intentions; however, in this case I cannot help but wonder what purpose this calendar serves. After meeting James a handful of times and listening to what Dana would tell me about James, I have to conclude that this calendar is an attempt to promote a desired modeling career.
From a pure PR stand point, “mission accomplished”. This calendar appeared on the nightly news with a featured interview. I speculate that thousands if not a million or so people saw this news cast.
From a religious stand point I really think this was over the top. This calendar is about sex and selling sex. I am sure the brethren know that sex sells. If this sort of promotion was acceptable by the LDS Church standards I think years ago they would have put out several, “sexy” calendars in an effort to obtain more members.
Overall, I believe this calendar is a big, "thumbs down". I know I will not be purchasing a copy anytime soon. I can’t help but wonder how many gay men will post this calendar.
Post a Comment