Friday, September 14, 2007

Who is to judge?


For anyone who knows me, my car has a handicap license plate. My son is in a powerwheel chair. That being said, we park in the handicap spaces when available. Now I did say WE, when my son is with my husband or myself, we always park in the disabled spaces.

First of all, there are times when these spaces are not available. Most of the time can be understood, but when there are no spaces, at Walmart is where this most frequently happens, there is always 2 cars with people sitting in the drivers seat. Doing nothing, just occupying my legally, rightful space. And they never have the disabled license tags.

Other times, as I'm driving down the strips looking for an open space, an obese person gets out of the car. Obesity, to me, is not a handicap. I feel like they put themselves in that situation and to take away a parking space from my child, is a load of crap. They are nothing but lazy people to me and I have no sympathy for them. Doctors that give disabled license tags need to think twice about who they are writing these to.

And, when there are available spaces and I do get them, I almost always get a dirty look, until they see me unloading the wheelchair. Then for some reason, it's okay. But if I didn't get the wheelchair and walked into the store, who are they to judge? I very well could have a heart condition or a prosthesis for a leg. No one knows.

I find myself being judgemental more frequently that I would like to admit. I think as humans, we are prone to judgement. We are raised in a society that judges people by the clothes they wear, by the cars they drive. And I'll admit, I judge a mother by what the cleanliness of their child.

It's the facts, as ugly as they are.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

It is difficult to decide who should or should not receive a handicap parking space. At times I have been in a similar situation and realized that I am giving someone a double look for parking in the handicap space. When in fact, this person may or may not have a heart condition or prosthetic leg. You just never know.

attack of The Mouse said...

It sucks being a human. We naturally want to jude everyone else, but when the mirror is turned on us, we aren't the shine of perfection. I'm quilty.

attack of The Mouse said...

When you get a chance would you please change the link to my blog to "attack of the mouse". Every bit of privacy I can take while putting my life out there is great.